Skip to main content

The Bedford Music Hall (1861 - 1959)



  • Existence: 16 September 1861 - 1959


The Bedford Music Hall opened on 16 September 1861 in Camden Town, London. In 1898 Messrs Lucas and Johnson acquired it and after demolishing the original building and expanding into adjacent land, turned the music hall into a theatre of variety.

Although the Bedford initially enjoyed great success, the advent of cinema and radio signified its deathknell, as audiences started to dwindle in the first half of the twentieth century, the Bedford declined until its final close in 1959 and was demolished a decade later.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Bill Barnes Collection

Reference code: NFA0172
Scope and Contents

Programmes, posters and photographs mainly related to the Poole family's travelling Myriorama show.

Dates: 1881 - 2017

Monographs, Articles, Manuscripts and Research Material, c1900 - 2018

Reference code: 178B44
Scope and Contents

Monographs, articles and research material on early travelling moving picture shows, related to the Poole family , Wilton's Music Hall, Walter Sickert, Bedford Music Hall, Randall Williams and early cinema in Scotland

Dates: c1900 - 2018

Victoria and Albert Museum Magazine, 2013

Reference code: 178B44.3
Scope and Contents

Victoria and Albert Museums magazine containing an article on Sickert and the Bedford Music Hall, Magazine 43p.p, includes a handwritten note, 4p.p

Dates: 2013

Additional filters:

Archival Object 2
Collection 1
Acrobats 1
Aerialists 1
Anglo-Afghan Wars 1
Anglo-Burmese War, 3rd, 1885 1
Anglo-Egyptian War, 1882 1