Skip to main content

Robert Tidman and Sons (1883 - 1925)

 Organisation

Dates

  • Existence: 1883 - 1925

Biography

Robert Tidman established Bishop’s Gate Ironworks in Norwich in 1883 to manufacture fairground rides. In 1886 the company was responsible for the improvements on Reynolds and King’s overhead crank design for galloping horses linked to the development on the Dobby roundabout which multiple engineering companies across the country had been working on for years. After his sons Frederick and Robert joined the family business the company changed the name to Robert Tidman and Sons. They continued developing new inventions and converting old models of rides until 1925 when the company closed.