Skip to main content

Heeley Green Theatre (1920 - 2004)



  • Existence: 5 April 1920 - 2 June 2004
  • Usage: 1929 - 1938
  • Usage: 1920 - 1929
  • Usage: 1938 - 1959
  • Usage: 1961 - 1963


The Heeley Green Theatre in Sheffield, opened on 5 April 1920 as the Heeley Green Picture House. Although initially it was built as a cinema, from 1926 it started to present variety acts and revue shows to complement its programme of entertainments. Three years later after renovation works enlarged the stage it also started to present live theatre and changed its name to Heeley Green Theatre. In 1938, after further renovations the theatre was converted once again into a cinema, known as The Heeley Green Picture House, which operated until 1959. The Heeley Green Picture House closed in 1959 and didn’t reopen until 1961 as the Tudor Cinema. After two further years of operations the cinema closed on 14 July 1962 and the building was used as a bingo hall and later Potters Snooker Club.

Heeley Green Theatre was destroyed by fire on 2 June 2004.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Handby Celeine Collection

Reference code: NFA0107
Scope and Contents

Posters, photographs, programmes, 1 piece of sheet music for six instruments and a small amount of business records and correspondence relating to the dancing and burlesque comedy on skates.

Dates: c1920 - 1945; 2020

Heeley Green Theatre Poster, Week commencing 10 April 1933

Reference code: 178R38.13
Scope and Contents

Sheffield. The Amazing Samson strong man act, Trix and Lynda speciality act, Hal Miller comedy act, Toby Family presented by Betty Jackson animal act, 6 Oslanti Girls singing and dancing act, Handby Celeine Trio comedy skating act, Who is She? singing act. Black and red type of off white background. Printed by Bailey & Sons Printers, Somercotes Derbyshire.

Dates: Week commencing 10 April 1933

Posters, c1920 - 1939

Reference code: 178R38
Scope and Contents

British theatre posters presenting Handby Celeine acts among others.

Dates: c1920 - 1939